Coos Bay Yacht Club Junior Sailing School
June 25-29, 2019
For Youths 10-18 Years Old
We will be teaching boating and basic water safety, care and rigging of small sailboats, sailing techniques, beginning racing techniques, and basic rules Classes are held dialing 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM. An end of school race will be held on Saturday, June 29th. The race will start at 11:00 AM with a bring-your-own-meat BBQ, award and ice cream dessert following the final race. All family members are welcome!
The Sailing School will consist of several instructional levels of class with a goal of instructing the beginning sailor students with up to three years of previous CBYC Sailing School experience mixed in the same class. Beginning students will sail a Holder Hawk. Past Beginning Sailing students should consider themselves for the advanced class if they are confident of their skills or have completed three summers of beginning sailing. The advanced class for 2019 will consist of a variety of racing formats and practice racing. Advanced students will sail a Laser. Students with more than three years in sailing school are welcomed to assist with instruction of the Beginning Sailing students. Daily attendance for the full week is expected.
1. Students must be able to swim well enough to enable themselves to get back into a capsized boat. A basic swim test is required.
2. All students need a supervising parent or adult CBYC member sponsor present on site who is responsible for entry, information, and supervision during the “on the docks” and “on the water” activities. Any exceptions need to be discussed with the instructor prior to June 18th. The sponsor and parent assume all liability for the activities for the student. Parent volunteer instructors or supervisors are mandatory for on water events.
3. Each student will be required to provide his or her own U.S. Coast Guard approved life jacket with a whistle to wear at all times while on the docks and on the water. Students should bring a swimsuit, change of dry clothing, and a dry towel, which should have person identification attached. No phones, radios or electronic games please! A “shortie (or full length) wet suit” is recommended for warmth, some are available for loan. Shoes are required to be worn at all times while on the docks. No “free swimming” time is allowed during the lunch break.
4. A $90 donation per club member or $130 non-club member with registration for the Sailing School Program is needed to maintain the program. (CBYC liability insurance premium per student for the 5 days is in excess of $50.)
5. Class is held rain or shine, only the activities may be modified.
6. A scheduled mandatory work party will be held Friday, June 28th after sailing school, in preparation for the Saturday “open house” and youth racing regatta. Brooms, rakes, lawn implements will be requested for use. Families are welcome and encouraged to watch your sailor and enjoy CBYC Saturday.
7. Prompt registration prior to June 15, 2019 is needed to enable proper planning for the Sailing School. Shirt sizes will not be guaranteed if received after this date.
8. Sailing school logo tee shirts will be provided with registration.
9. To help comply with our Clean Marina Program, please bring a reusable water bottle to use throughout the week to minimize garbage/recycling waste.
- Junior Sailing School Application
- Junior Sailing School Information Sheet